Trofin & Associates SCA was founded in March 2003 by Valentin Trofin as a law firm specialising in the construction industry and corporate law. In 2004 the practice became well known for its professionalism and as a leading voice in construction projects and real estate development. Since then the practice has grown having gained further experience in mergers and acquisitions, intellectual property, employment law, real estate development, insurance claims, banking & finance, public procurement, international commercial or investment arbitration and domestic litigation.
Since 2003 Trofin & Associates has been involved in more than 50 construction or real estate development projects with values ranging from Euro 10 million to Euro 70 million.
Since 2007 the firm has participated in many cross-border transactions especially in Turkey, the Russian Federation, North Africa and the Republic of Moldova. As a result, they have developed in depth experience in dispute resolution including international commercial arbitration having completed more than 30 cases of domestic or international arbitration.
The dispute resolution practice is involved annually, on average, in representing clients in more than 70 litigation and arbitration cases, with a peak in 2009 - 2012 when they were involved each year in more than 200 litigation and arbitration cases.
In 2016 the Romanian government appointed the practice as co-counsel representing the country in an investment arbitration dispute of hundreds of millions of Euros, under the rules of the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID), Washington D.C. (U.S.A).
The practice lawyers have a strong academic background being frequent speakers at workshops and international conferences.
How to find us:
Trofin & Associates SCA
Bucharest, 70 Blvd. Ferdinand I, 1st Floor, 2nd. District, 021393, Romania
Phone: +40 21 337 50 00
Fax: +40 21 337 50 03
Local website: www.trofin.com
Valentin Trofin, PhDc, LLM, LLB, FCIArb
Managing Partner, Trofin & Associates SCA, Fellow, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
Phone: +40 21 337 50 00
Practice areas: Construction, Real Estate, Banking Finance, Mergers & Acquisition, Corporate Law, Commercial Law, Arbitration.
- University of Bucharest Law School, Bachelor of Law degree (1998)
- Master’s degree in International Commercial Arbitration (2014) from University of Bucharest Law School (2014)
- Diploma in International Commercial Arbitration from the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (2014).
- Ph.D. candidate at the Doctoral Law School of Titu Maiorescu University.
- Admitted to the Bucharest Bar Association (1999); the National Association of Authorized Romanian Valuers (2003); and Romanian National Union of Insolvency Practitioners (2010). Also, a member of: the International Bar Association; Society of Construction Law (UK); Romanian Society of Construction Law; and founding member and Treasurer of Bucharest Arbitration Network.
Experience in corporate transactions and project financing with a focus on construction, real estate development and both commercial & investment arbitration. A continuing legal education in this field includes participation in a variety of training events, seminars and conferences, contracts with the International Federation of Consulting Engineers (FIDIC), including the Young Professionals Management Training Programme (YPMTP) 2012 and with international commercial arbitration.
Regularly represents both domestic and international companies in cross-border transactions, especially in Turkey, the Russian Federation, North Africa and the Republic of Moldova.
- Co-counsel in the acquisition of shares in a major telecommunication company with a value in excess of USD 20 million;
- Co-counsel in the sale of a real estate company with a value exceeding Euro 40 million
- Acting as leading counsel in the sale of a business in the retail industry with a value exceeding Euro 9 million;
- Leading counsel for a developer in planning, building and selling a shopping center in Bucharest where the final sale transaction exceeded USD 25 million;
- Leading counsel for different contractors and subcontractors performing building works in almost all office and shopping centers in Bucharest;
- Co-counsel in an international dispute at the pre-arbitration phase relating to a claim raised under a construction contract performed in Libya;
- Leading counsel for a developer in planning, project financing, building and selling a landmark residential complex in Bucharest where the final sale transaction exceeded Euro 70 million;
- Leading counsel for a client in relation to a claim in connection with a construction contract where the dispute was to be determined under ICC Rules; the claim was settled just before the notice for arbitration was due for dispatch;
- Currently acting as co-counsel in an investment arbitration under the ICSID Rules
Languages: English, Romanian